Wednesday, November 14, 2012

I'm just a neutral journalist

One of the things that's become very clear to me is that I need to maintain complete neutrality as I travel around the galaxy. I want to mix with every corp or alliance that I can, to meet their pilots, to shake their hands, to fly in space with them as they show me interesting and exciting things that I can take photos of and write about in this blog.

I can't do that if I join any of them as a combatant.


I'm a travelling, neutral journalist, with no interest in taking sides, and no interest in shooting anyone.

My killboard can be seen here, with my last kill being in January 2011.

I have no intentions of being an aggressor against anyone while I'm on this journey, because that would potentially damage my neutrality. I'm even thinking about hanging up my guns and being completely unarmed, but I'm still trying to work out if that would be stupid or reasonable.

See, if I shoot at someone, even in defence, and I end up killing them, that counts as a kill on my killboard. If someone looks at my killboard and sees a history of occasional kills while I'm travelling around, but they don't have time to read the extensive blog posts and find the context of that kill, they can potentially think that I'm not neutral, I'm going around killing people while I'm travelling.

While that's somewhat normal, what happens if one of my kills is of someone who's in an alliance that's considering inviting me to their special event, and then they see that I've killed one of their alliance pilots? That wouldn't look very good, and I'm likely to have that invitation cancelled.

So from this 'debate' I've just had with myself, I think that for the duration of my travel around the galaxy, it'll be a much better idea for me to just hang up my guns and avoid killing people, maintaining my neutrality all the way around the galaxy.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with me, or do you have a different opinion?

7 comments:

  1. I think you can't have it both ways. But that any decision is the right one. You could stop using the T3 and travel in a Heron for example, cheap, replaceable, and harmless. Or you could only use your weapons for defense. Or remove them all together. Any of those choices brings with it consequences, but they each make sense. It is only deciding internally, which of those can you live with?


    And that will be the right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should aim to shoot them all in the face and steal their stuff while continuing to maintain a journalist neutrality.


    I'm just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have to be straight defenseless. Cloak, but no dagger. Not that that will save you from NBSI, but at least there will be a record of you not retaliating nor able to. You come strictly in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just go unarmed but not defenceless. There are plenty of mods and drones that can kick, neut, disperse without doing damage but enable you to get away. That way you are truly only defending yourself but not leaving yourself open to any dick with a pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that. You know, it's been almost a year since I played, and would you believe I forgot about ewar drones? Somebody slap me....


    I'll get me some drones :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeh, I think you're right :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, I like the idea of hanging up my guns and having ewar defences / drones instead. That would work very well for me, allowing me better chances of getting away than just sitting there and dying.


    I think I've decided not to aggress at all, ever. Not until I've gone through the 5,201st system at least :)

    ReplyDelete